Building the Vision
We are very blessed with an outstanding Victorian Church building in the centre of East Molesey. An attractive remodelling started start in June 2015 and was completed in December 2015 and has helped our vision to make the church building a vibrant hub at the heart of the community.
Read below details of the work that was undertaken. We held a launch event which coincided with the 150th Anniversary of St Mary’s on 5th December to celebrate the newly remodelled interior and you can read more about that event here.
The remodelled church has been designed to the meet the demands of both contemporary architectural design and flexible format and functionality. The plans included:
· Removal of pews from the nave (main body of the church) and replacement with 250 elegant chairs with strong, slim steel frames and comfortable oak seats and backs. These chairs will not only look very smart and in-keeping with the building but can be easily moved and stacked for flexibility.
· Levelling of the nave floor and installation of raised platform at the east end for the leading of worship, nave altar and band.
· Creation of new structure at the west end of the nave to include large entrance foyer two lavatories and a larger kitchen.
· The installation of lavatories is essential for the future usage of the building. The plan is for lavatories to be located near the main entrance, accessed from a corridor that leads to the kitchen.
· A large foyer will ensure a welcoming space for people as they enter the building, room to hang coats and park buggies.
The kitchen will remain in its existing place but will be extended and improved with a serving hatch facing the nave and access points from the new corridor off the entrance hall and through the serving hatch. Panels will isolate the kitchen from the rest of the church so that noise can be kept to a minimum.
The floor of the bell tower is being considered as a flexible space for an office/meeting room beside the entrance of church when the bells are not being rung.
These plans leave open the possibility in the future to build a gallery above the new structure at the west end and so increasing seating capacity for Sunday services significantly.
We feel these plans are a fitting way to celebrate 150 years of worship and ministry in this church and an opportunity to ensure this building is equipped as a centre for worship and ministry over the next 150 years.
Building the Vision: Just some of the benefits
There will be space for new activities to emerge:
· Plans for a Parenting Course will be much easier to realise with a welcoming and flexible venue.
· A vision to offer a café regularly to the community so that the building can be more accessible and relationships with more people in the community can be established. The planned opening of a pre-school in the St Mary’s Church Hall will create demand for a warm and inviting meeting place for parents and carers.
· Clergy and staff will have more space with the prospect of a meeting room in the bell tower, off the entrance hall.
· A place where every member of the church family can bring family, friends and neighbours to taste and see that the Lord is good – Psalm 34.8.
· Opportunity for God’s Kingdom work to be done 7 days a week for generations to come rather than just on Sundays.